Daily Current Affairs August 26, 2022
Govt appoints former CEA K.Subramanian as Managing Director for India at IMF
- Former CEA K Subramanian is set to take over as the IMF’s executive director from November.
- KV Subramanian will succeed renowned economist Surjit S Bhalla, who has been appointed India’s managing director on the board of the International Monetary Fund in 2019.
- Subramanian stepped down as CEA after completing his three-year tenure in October last year.
- The government appointed Subramanian, a professor at ISP Hyderabad, as CEA in December 2018. He succeeded Arvind Subramanian.
- K Subramanian has been awarded the Distinguished Alumni Award by IIT-Kanpur and IIM-Calcutta.
- IMF – International Monetary Fund
5G service to be launched in India by October 12
- The auction for 5G spectrum was held recently. Reliance, Jio, Airtel, Idea, Vodafone, BSNL have also auctioned the spectrum for the maximum amount.
- Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnav has said that the central government has set a target to introduce 5G services in India by October 12.
- In the first phase, it has been reported that 5G services will be launched in 13 cities like Delhi, Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Chennai.
- It has announced that the service will be expanded across the country in two to three years.
- Following this, Narendra Modi said at the opening ceremony of ‘Smart India Hackathon’ that 6G technology will be introduced in India by 2030.
Prime Minister Modi will dedicate India’s first aircraft carrier INS Vikrant to the country on September 2
- INS Vikrant will be fully operational by the end of next year, Navy said.
- The warships Vikranthu and Virat bought by India from Britain retired from service in the Navy.
- Only Soviet Russia INS Vikramaditya is currently in service. INSVikrant is an indigenously built aircraft carrier named after Vikrant which played a major role in the 1971 Pakistan war.
- INS Vikrant, designed by the Indian Navy, was built in Kochi at a cost of Rs 23,000 crore.
- Construction of Vikrant, one of the world’s largest modern warships, began in 2009.
- 4th aircraft carrier of Indian Navy.
- 30 fighter jets can be operated simultaneously from Vikrant.
- A separate section for women officers can serve 1,700 people at a time.
- The maximum speed of this ship is 28 knots
- It includes the capacity to generate 22 MW of electricity required for the ship.
- India joins the list of countries capable of building its own aircraft carrier.
PM Modi inaugurated Homi Baba Cancer Hospital in Mohali, Punjab
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday dedicated to the nation the ‘Homi Baba Cancer Hospital and Research Centre’ in Punjab’s Mohali district in an effort to provide world-class cancer care to residents of Punjab and neighboring states and union territories.
- Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann greeted Modi at the inauguration of a 100-bed hospital in Sangrur, which will serve as a hub for cancer care and treatment in the region.
- Prime Minister Modi has said that the central government will approve the construction of 40 specialized cancer institute’s and 200 new medical colleges in 8 years.
Angela Merkel wins Unesco Peace Prize in 2022
- Former German chancellor Angela Merkel wins Unesco Peace Prize 2022 for “her efforts to welcome refugees”
- She courageously took a decision in 2015 to welcome more than 1.2 million refugees, notably from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Eritrea.
- The honour, which is officially called Felix Houphouet-Boigny-Unesco Peace Prize, is named after the former president of Ivory Coast.
- Angela Merkel was born July 17, 1954, Hamburg, West Germany
- She is a retired German politician and scientist who served as the chancellor of Germany from 2005 to 2021.
- She was the first woman to hold that office and the second longest-serving chancellor in German history.
- Mother Teresa was born on 26th August 1910.
- She became nun at the age of 18.
- She lived and worked in India for 17 years.
- In the year on 1979 she received Noble prize for her work and service to the world.
- In 5th September 1997 she died at the age of 87.
- In 2014 she recognized as saint by Pope Francis.
Sameer V Kamath has been appointed as the new Secretary and Chairman of the Defense Research and Development Organisation
- Sameer V Kamath has been appointed as the new chief of DRDO. While Satish Reddy was holding this post, he was transferred as Scientific Advisor to Union Defense Minister Rajnath Singh.
- Sameer V Kamath was working as a scientist at DRDO. Completed PhD in Metallurgical Engineering from IIT Kharagpur. He then received his PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from Ohio University, USA.
- Joined DRTO as Scientist in 1989. He was subsequently promoted to Director of Laboratories, Director of Novel Systems and Materials.
- He is the leader in this position.
- DRDO- Defense Research and Development Organisation
- DRDO- is Asia’s largest aerospace industry and one of the leading arms manufacturers. Its headquarters is located in New Delhi, the capital of India.
India’s Arjun Erikaisi won the Abu Dhabi Masters Chess Championship.
- 148 players participated in this series held in Abu Dhabi.
- At the end of 8 rounds in this series of 9 rounds, India’s Grandmaster Arjun Erikaisi, China’s Wang Hao, America’s Ray Robson, Netherlands’ Van Jorden had 5.5 points each.
- In which Arjun Erikaisi takes on Spanish Grandmaster David Anton Guijarro.
- He won on the 67th piece move.
- With this Arjun Erikaisi topped with 7.5 points and won the title of champion.
- Arjun Ericaisi is an Indian chess grandmaster. He is the current Indian National Chess Champion.
- He was the 32nd youngest person to achieve the title of Grandmaster. He is the 54th Grandmaster of India.
The Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council will release India’s Competitiveness Plan on August 30.
- The Roadmap for India @100 by the Economic Advisory Committee to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) is slated to be released on August 30 in the presence of Bipak Deproy-20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant and Council Member Sanjeev Sun.
- This roadmap is meant to inform and guide the way for India to become a high income country by 2047.
- It proposes goals, policies and approaches to further drive India’s economy in the direction of sustainability and resilience embedded in social progress and shared prosperity.
- “This roadmap presents an integrated agenda of prioritized initiatives based on a thorough study of India’s current economic position and competitive advantages.
- The launch event will be held at Indira Gandhi National Center for the Arts (IGNCA), Janpath, New Delhi at 11:00 am.
- Economic Advisory Committee to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) is a body set up to advise the Government of India, particularly the Prime Minister, on economic and related issues.
Prime Minister Modi will inaugurate the ‘Atal Bridge’ in Ahmedabad on August 27
- As India completed 75 years of independence last week, Ahmedabad’s iconic Sabarmati riverbank also completed a decade.
- Keeping in mind the interest of tourists and visitors, another attraction has been added – a foot flyover between Ellis Bridge and Sardar Bridge.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate this 300 meter bridge connecting the east and west of the Sabarmati River on Saturday.
- The bridge provides connectivity to various public developments along the east and west banks with a multi-level pleasure stand.
- Between the Flower Park and Event Grounds on the West Bank to the proposed Art/Culture/Exhibition Center on the East Bank.
- The bridge is unique in its design – both technologically and visually – further enhancing the riverside and city status.